One of a Kind - Black Onyx inlay tooled leather earrings
- Premium quality cowhide leather
- Stone: genuine sleeping beauty turquoise from Arizona
- Hand painted and hand tooled
- Medium brown with dark brown accents
- Stainless steel ear wires
- Drop length (approx.): 2” H x 1” W
- Doubled leather
- Boho style
- Note : Colors are accurate though based on some monitors set up, colors may look slightly different.
About Black Onyx Inlay Tooled Leather Earrings
Onyx is a form of chalcedony, which is a microcrystalline quartz formed in the gas cavities of lava. Its multi-layered structure is similar to that of agates. When the stone has a black base and a white upper layer, it's called onyx. (Black onyx is uniformly black chalcedony.) When the base is brown, it is called sardonyx while carnelian-onyx has a red base.
Much of what is referred to as "black onyx" is gray chalcedony that has been chemically treated to be a rich black. The gray stone can be saturated with a solution of cobalt chlorate and chlorammonium, or it can be immersed for a prolonged period in a sugar solution and then heated in sulphuric acid to carbonize the sugar.